Alternative TTS feed

GSpeech allows to listen any text from the site, and much more!
Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:24 am

• Hi Simon,

I really like Gspeech for WP.

I'm not so wild about Google TTS though. Leaves much to be desired.

I do like Vocalware.com TTS, it's much better.

Any chance of setting Gspeek up so that the admin can choose between using Google (free) or Vocalware (which requires funds)? It looks like the Vocalware api is fairly simple.

Chris
    christopher

Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:39 pm

• Hello,

I will research Vocalware api, and maybe add it's support on next releases.
    Best Regards,

Simon
    Simon
    Site Admin

Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:59 am

• Thanks Simon.

I'm also looking at Ivona.com ( aka: iwebreader.com ). Their voices are really good quality, but they don't have any info on costs listed.

I've got emails into both these companies asking if they would consider putting together low cost monthly subscription packages. I'll let you know what they have to say. (if they will, you should send them a note to see if they'll set up an affiliate program for you and you could include a subscription form in your plugin!!).

Ivona has their own plugin ( http://wordpress.org/plugins/ivona-webreader/ ), but your's has more options, functionality, and a more promising future (IMO).

Chris
    christopher

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:31 pm

• Hi Chris,

Thanks for investigating the TTS alternatives.
    Let me know about their response, and I will consider adding it on next releases!
    Best Regards,

Simon
    Simon
    Site Admin

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:20 am

• Ok, I looked through and testing lots of tts's and then got sidetracked onto other things and didn't get back to you for a couple months - sorry about that!

It looks to me like the best option to incorporate a premium voice into GSpeech would be through sitepal.com

They actually have a tts with an avatar, but using the avatar is not required. For GSpeech, I would say just go with the tts part for now and then maybe you might want to implement the avatar in some way in the future.

Sitepal.com appears to be the only tts with a reasonably priced monthly subscription. Their plans run from $9.99/month for 1,500 streams to $249.95 for unlimited streams.

They have a limit of 900 characters per/stream, so you may have to find a workaround (I think another call to the api) for longer text selections.

The cool thing (for you) is that they offer an affiliate program - 30% recurring commission! Not bad! You can set up a link with your affiliate id in the plugin for users to sign up for the subscription. Maybe you can set up something on your site for users to compare the free voice and the premium voice, so they can compare.

I still like ivona.com's voices a bit better, but they do not have a clear pricing plan and were unable to state one when I contacted them. Rather odd, considering it's an Amazon company.

PS... vocalware/sitepal/oddcast all the same company/voices, just presented differently with different offers/products.
    christopher

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:06 pm

• Hello,

Thanks for such kind a complete research of TTS world. I will use your suggestions on next releases.
    Best Regards,

Simon
    Simon
    Site Admin

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 am

• Hello, i just bought the product and want use alternative voices, is this possible? how can i do it?
    please advise, the default voice is very bored :/
    vexsoluciones

Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 am

• Hi Vexsoluciones,

Alternative voices are not available in the current version, but hopefully we can get them in the future, according to Simon's note (above).

I've also asked Simon if he could set up GSpeech to work in the WordPress backend editor. I'd love to be able to use GSpeech on the backend editor so writers on my site can listen to their stories before they submit them, as a way to help them proof their writing. Sometimes you can hear writing mistakes better than you can see them when scanning with your eyes - I don't know if this is feature technically possible though,

Chris
    christopher

Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:12 am

• I'd upvote this feature and pay for a subscription, especially if it works in the page editor. Same reasoning as above.
    Dawger

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 am

• Hi Simon,

Hate to bug you, but we haven't heard from you in a while - any updates or thoughts on if (and when) this might be possible?

Thanks,

Chris
    christopher

Next

Return to GSpeech WordPress

Information